[Dovecot] Feature Request - starting dovecot, config file behavior

Fri Apr 18 13:43:37 EEST 2008

Hey Timo,

I was wondering how much trouble it would be to again emulate the way
postfix does something - in this case, the way it reads its config file
when starting up.

Current behavior:

Postfix:
If postfix encounters the same setting defined more than once, the last
one wins.

Dovecot:
If dovecot encounters the same setting defined more than once it gives
an error (also when using the 'dovecot -n' command).

I like to add all of my changes to the very bottom of the config file,
but otherwise leave the config file as is... this makes it very easy
when updating - I can easily keep all of the new default config file,
and simply merge my customizations at the end.

So - how hard would it be to make dovecot simply accept the last defined
setting read, instead of refusing to start?

Thanks much, and glad to have you back in action!

--

Best regards,

Charles