[Dovecot] Broken Header uidvalidity problem after upgrade

Robert Henjes henjes at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Apr 29 19:27:44 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen schrieb:
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:10 +0200, Robert Henjes wrote:
>
>> Is there a possibility to check the uidvalidity from administrators
>> point of view on the server?
>>

> Something like:
>
> find . -name dovecot-uidlist|xargs head -1|grep '^1 0 '
>
> The point is just that UIDVALIDITY must not be zero. Dovecot relies on
> this internally in some places, and also it's illegal to send such
> UIDVALIDITY using IMAP protocol. Strange that it worked with you
> before. :)

So after a while of testing and playing around I figured out the following:

If you create a new and empty directory with version 1.0.rc15 then there
is no dovecot-uidlist file.
After moving a new mail to this folder one is created

1 0 2
1 1209486091.P3655Q5.serverb:2,S

Moving another mail to this dir leads to:

1 0 3
1 1209486091.P3655Q5.serverb:2,S
2 1209486279.P3655Q6.serverb:2,S

tataaaa .. and there is the zero value, which should not be there
according to your report.
So it seems to be a bug of this debian version.
After reviewing all the files of the users on our system, it seems that
all new folders created between the migration to 1.0.rc15  and the
upgrade to 1.0.13 had this problem. I didn't verify the 1.0.13 version
yet due to the lack of time.

Any hints, to solve this problem, besides simply upgrading?

Best regards,
Robert