[Dovecot] dovecot-auth requires userdb, but already configured

Carl Vondrick carl at vondrick.com
Mon Aug 4 09:30:17 EEST 2008

Greetings!

My ultimate goal is to have fetchmail/getmail poll from POP3/IMAP servers
and deliver mail into Dovecot mailboxes.  This does not work because the
Dovecot LDA for some reason fails.

I believe I have narrowed down the problem to dovecot-auth not finding my
userdb.  But, I am able to connect to dovecot via IMAP in my MUA and preform
operations (read, delete mail, create folders).  This leads me to believe my
userdb is setup correctly.

Does anyone have any idea as to why dovecot-auth would not find my userdb?
(Configuration is below).

carl at cvondrick:~$ dovecot --version
1.0.10

carl at cvondrick:~$ /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-auth
dovecot-auth: Fatal: You'll need to add at least one userdb

carl at cvondrick:~$ dovecot -n
# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
ssl_disable: yes
disable_plaintext_auth: no
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: mbox:/home/carl/mail/%u
mail_debug: yes
dotlock_use_excl: yes
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/dovecot/passwd
  userdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/passwd

carl at cvondrick:~$ uname -a
Linux cvondrick 2.6.24-20-generic #1 SMP Mon Jul 28 13:06:07 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux

The package is from Ubuntu Hardy, but I can build from source if you think
it'll fix this.

Thanks for any responses,
Carl