[Dovecot] Dovecot,nfs or memory indexing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 4 17:21:55 EEST 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Sebastian Tymków wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it's normal behaviour that indexes created in memory
> have long
> creation time.

No, but the problem has more to do with caching. If you use a client
that fetches the same data often (such as message headers/sizes) then
Dovecot will do the same work for each request. In that case in-memory
indexes perform poorly. This is more of a problem with webmail clients
and less of a problem with Outlook/Thunderbird.

If you're using POP3 that also performs poorly without indexes with
v1.0. v1.1 makes it better.

> Other problem is that indexes created on nfs sometimes get crushed
> and I
> need to delete indexes in case of
> fetching mails ( I see mails on hd but when telnet on host and make
> stat I
> don't see any).

So Dovecot says there are no mails while there are in fact?

> Does version 1.1.x correct this errors ?

v1.1 makes NFS work a lot better, so it's highly recommended.

Have you read http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS ?