[Dovecot] Dovecot,nfs or memory indexing

Sebastian Tymków sebastian.tymkow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 00:46:26 EEST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

2008/8/4 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>

> On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Sebastian Tymków wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if it's normal behaviour that indexes created in memory have long
>> creation time.
>>

> No, but the problem has more to do with caching. If you use a client that
> fetches the same data often (such as message headers/sizes) then Dovecot
> will do the same work for each request. In that case in-memory indexes
> perform poorly. This is more of a problem with webmail clients and less of a
> problem with Outlook/Thunderbird.

And what about if I want use both  solutions ,
memory indexing for POP3 and hd-indexing for webmail? Are there any
disadventages ?

> If you're using POP3 that also performs poorly without indexes with v1.0.
> v1.1 makes it better.
>
>  Other problem is that indexes created on nfs sometimes get crushed and I
>> need to delete indexes in case of
>> fetching mails ( I see mails on hd but when telnet on host and make stat I
>> don't see any).
>>

> So Dovecot says there are no mails while there are in fact?

Yes. But when I delete indexes and they are recreated everything works fine.

Is it possible that something goes wrong on NFS connection ?

>  Does version 1.1.x correct this errors ?
>>

> v1.1 makes NFS work a lot better, so it's highly recommended.

Does it stable version ? Can I use it on production without any problems ?

>  And what is better to use : nfs or
>> memory indexing ?
>> Can someone point me adventages and disadventages of using both solutions?
>>

> Have you read http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS ?

Yes.

Best regards,

Sebastian