[Dovecot] doveot reporting "No space left on device" - yet df show plenty of space / inodes.

Tom Brownlie tomb1971 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 03:30:03 EEST 2008

Hi,

I am running dovecot 1.0.rc7 on a Suse Linux server. The server has approx 200+ mailboxes.

Last week the filesystem (/dev/mapper/datavg/dat2lv) ran out of space - causing it to do into read-only mode. When I realised this I allocated some more space and re-booted the machine...

Strangely it seems that dovecot is still having problems... It's like dovecot doesn't realise that there is enough space on the file system.

Also - it only is happening to a few users at this stage - not all users are having problems sending/receiving emails...

The dovecotstderr.log file contains:

dovecot: Aug 05 09:47:38 Error: IMAP(rebecca): file_dotlock_open(/data/mail/rebecca/dovecot-uidlist) failed: No space left on device
When I do a df -h
mail:/var/log # df -h                                               Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on              /dev/sda4             9.0G  5.7G  3.3G  64% /                       tmpfs                 491M  8.0K  491M   1% /dev/shm                /dev/mapper/datavg-dat2lv                                                                 300G  130G  171G  44% /data
When I do a df -i
mail:/var/log # df -i                                           Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on   /dev/sda4                  0       0       0    -  /            tmpfs                 125505       5  125500    1% /dev/shm     /dev/mapper/datavg-dat2lv                                                            357753312 1030354 356722958    1% /data
I manually created a file in /data/mail/rebecca - which worked fine, and didn't cause any problems.

HELP!!!

I am stumped.... I can't understand why Dovecot is complaining..

I have manually stopped postfix and dovecot, and then re-started them.. But to no avail.

HELP - I am desperate.... My previously very reliable email server seems to be sick..