[Dovecot] doveot reporting "No space left on device" - yet df show plenty of space / inodes.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 5 03:43:47 EEST 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 8:30 PM, Tom Brownlie wrote:

> dovecot: Aug 05 09:47:38 Error: IMAP(rebecca): file_dotlock_open(/
> data/mail/rebecca/dovecot-uidlist) failed: No space left on device

Some syscall is failing here with ENOSPC. Unfortunately the log
doesn't show which syscall it is.. You could check this with strace.
For example change:

   mail_executable = /usr/bin/strace -o /tmp/dovecot.log /usr/local/
libexec/dovecot/imap

Then grep for ENOSPC from the /tmp/dovecot.log and show what it says?

> I manually created a file in /data/mail/rebecca - which worked fine,
> and didn't cause any problems.

Can you create hard links (ln file file2)?

> I have manually stopped postfix and dovecot, and then re-started
> them.. But to no avail.

Did you try rebooting the entire machine? Maybe the kernel is still
confused.