[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Mon Aug 11 18:52:45 EEST 2008

On 8/11/2008, Mathieu Kretchner (mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr) wrote:
> So here is my next environment :
>
> how many mailbox ?
> 5000

with adequate hardware/RAM, no problem

> how many users ?
> 6000

again - with adequate hardware/RAM, no problem

Concurrent access/usage will dictate if you need more than one server.

> what kind of access ?
> IMAP(s), POP3(s), webmail

no problem - webmail is separate of course, use whichever webmail app
you like

> how many server ?
> 2 (how to configure this with dovecot ? hearthbeat ? is it better with 1 big hardware ? )

Timo is working on integrated replication right now, but it does
currently have proxy capability that I understand works well and makes
this fairly painless, although I haven't used it...

But I'm not sure if you are talking about 2 REDUNDANT servers (for
fail-over in the event the primary fails), or 2 active/load-balanced
servers... proxy would work for load-balancing, and you can configure
anything to use heartbeat, no?

> Database user ?
> LDAP

no problem

> Mail DB ?
> Cyrus maildir

You'll have to convert to standard maildir:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus

> Capability ?
> Sieve / Quota

On latest version (1.1.2 currently), no problem, but a newer/full
rewrite to provide native sieve capability is in progress, which will
provide much better control

> High Performance without hacking conf files !

this is one of dovecots strongest points imo...

--

Best regards,

Charles