[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Mathieu Kretchner mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr
Tue Aug 12 10:41:44 EEST 2008

Charles Marcus a écrit :
> On 8/11/2008, Mathieu Kretchner (mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr) wrote:
>> So here is my next environment :
>>
>> how many mailbox ?
>> 5000
>
> with adequate hardware/RAM, no problem
>
>> how many users ?
>> 6000
>
> again - with adequate hardware/RAM, no problem

Ok it seems to be great, but wath do you consider to be an adequate
hardware/RAM for this kind of environment ?

> Concurrent access/usage will dictate if you need more than one server.
>
>> what kind of access ?
>> IMAP(s), POP3(s), webmail
>
> no problem - webmail is separate of course, use whichever webmail app
> you like

yes, of course, this will be an other discussion :)

>> how many server ?
>> 2 (how to configure this with dovecot ? hearthbeat ? is it better with
>> 1 big hardware ? )
>
> Timo is working on integrated replication right now, but it does
> currently have proxy capability that I understand works well and makes
> this fairly painless, although I haven't used it...
>
> But I'm not sure if you are talking about 2 REDUNDANT servers (for
> fail-over in the event the primary fails), or 2 active/load-balanced
> servers... proxy would work for load-balancing, and you can configure
> anything to use heartbeat, no?

I've explicitly post a fuzzy question to have this kind of answer !
Thanks I've a better global view of dovecot now.

>> Database user ?
>> LDAP

Here is an other problem : we don't have uid/gid stored in our LDAP
database. Do we have to configure dovecot with a dovecot specific
user/group ?

> no problem
>
>> Mail DB ?
>> Cyrus maildir
>
> You'll have to convert to standard maildir:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus

Thanks for the url, I've already seen it before and the script
cyrus2courrier seems good but we wonder why you didn't mention imapsync
? (maybe because for mass migration we must have a clear password file?)

>> Capability ?
>> Sieve / Quota
>
> On latest version (1.1.2 currently), no problem, but a newer/full
> rewrite to provide native sieve capability is in progress, which will
> provide much better control
>
>> High Performance without hacking conf files !
>
> this is one of dovecots strongest points imo...

Indeed, we bench cyrus and dovecot from scratch and dovecot seems to be
realy fast !