[Dovecot] Auto Vacation replies again

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue Aug 12 02:15:40 EEST 2008

CJ Keist schreef:

> Fixed it!!
>
> In the file src/sieve_cmu.c line 744:
>
> smtp_client = smtp_client_open(src->addr, NULL, &f);
>
> change to:
>
> smtp_client = smtp_client_open(src->addr, src->fromaddr, &f);

First of all, this does not control the content of the From: header
line, but rather the FROM SMTP envelope field.

This behavior is implemented as such on purpose. From RFC5230
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5230.txt):

5.1.  SMTP MAIL FROM Address

    The SMTP MAIL FROM address of the message envelope SHOULD be set to

This is primarily recommended to prevent other (more stupid)
auto-responders to generate a response to your vacation response (see
also RFC3834 - 3.3. Message envelope).

In general I would recommend adjusting the filter accordingly, because
vacation replies are likely not going to be the only thing it will chew
on when it is configured to bite things that have an empty return path
(e.g. mailer daemon status reports and the like).

Regards,

Stephan.