[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 12 10:55:16 EEST 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 3:41 AM, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:

>>> Database user ?
>>> LDAP
>
> Here is an other problem : we don't have uid/gid stored in our LDAP
> database. Do we have to configure dovecot with a dovecot specific
> user/group ?

Yes, one or more (for one you have mail_uid/gid settings with v1.1).
See http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserIds

>> no problem
>>> Mail DB ?
>>> Cyrus maildir
>> You'll have to convert to standard maildir:
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus
>
> Thanks for the url, I've already seen it before and the script
> cyrus2courrier seems good but we wonder why you didn't mention
> imapsync ? (maybe because for mass migration we must have a clear
> password file?)

Most importantly imapsync doesn't preserve message UIDs. cyrus2courier
is also faster since it doesn't have to write all the mail data, just
rename the files.

Benchmarking IMAP servers for real-world usage is a bit difficult. http://imapwiki.org/Benchmarking