[Dovecot] dovecot sieve sends vacation messages with null envelope sender

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Tue Aug 12 17:26:28 EEST 2008

Josef,
   This is exactly same situation in our environment as well. I had to
make the same change as you stated.  Our central virus/spam email
gateway also cans any message with out a valid from address in the mail
headers.  I would think most virus/spam systems will do the same.
   I understand the concept of having the from empty, namely to keep
another automated system from replying back to your vacation reply, but
what do we do to keep our vacation replies being canned by anti-spam
systems??  Maybe this should be a option in the configuration file to
let the Admin decide whether to fill in the from address field, or a
"donot-reply at domain.com" default, or just empty?

Josef Liška wrote:
> I am using this simple sieve script to do "vacation":
>
> require ["fileinto", "vacation"];
> if exists "X-Spam-Flag" {
>  stop;
> }
> vacation
>  :days 1
>  :subject "Out of office reply"
>  :addresses ["<email address hidden>", "<email address hidden>" ]
> "I am on vacation until 2008-08-07.
> If you have something urgent, please contact: Jan Novak <email address
> hidden>
> ";
>
> I use sql lookups for users and passwords. For some reason the default
> location ~/.dovecot-sieve did not work for some reason. However I prefer
> to put sieve scripts to /var/lib/sieve and when I added additional field
> to lookup with this location it started to work.
>
> But it sends vacation messages with null envelope sender, which is in my
> opinion undesirable, because many vacation messages are caught in spam
> filters.
>
> I think there could be same sender on envelope.
> In dovecot-sieve/src/sieve-cmu.c around line 380 is a call to
> smtp_client_open(src->addr, NULL, &f);
> NULL could be replaced with src->fromaddr
>
> Maybe some more patching may be necesary. I found similar patch for
> cyrus-imapd at
> http://oss.digirati.com.br/mail/cyrus.html
> <http://oss.digirati.com.br/mail/cyrus.html>
>
> My current system:
> 1)  Ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> jl at mail:~$ dovecot --version
> 1.0.15
>
> It is a backported package from ubuntu intrepid ibex. However the same
> applies for dovecot 1.0.10 which is in ubuntu 8.04.

> as user's e-mail address. This is then writen to Return-Path: header by
> receiving MTA
>
> NULL envelope from is used, resulting (in my case) to Return-Path: <>
> rewriten by postfix to Return-Path: <MAILER-DAEMON> by receiving MTA

- --
C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'