[Dovecot] dovecot sieve sends vacation messages with null envelope sender

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Aug 12 19:35:52 EEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:26:28AM -0600, CJ Keist wrote:
>    I understand the concept of having the from empty, namely to keep

It's not just a concept but a rule set by some RFCs.

> another automated system from replying back to your vacation reply, but
> what do we do to keep our vacation replies being canned by anti-spam
> systems??  Maybe this should be a option in the configuration file to

Then those systems violates RFCs, because it's compulsory to accept the null
originator. Even there is a DNS based list which tries to block domains (of
course only if you use it in your MTA) don't accept it.

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-dsn.php

Also NDRs ("bounces") come with the null originator, so rejecting them makes
the concept of e-mail partly dead (sender will not be notified that her/his
mail cannot be delivered. yes, of course it's good idea to try to avoid to
accept mails THEN sending back NDRs, but ...)

--
- Gábor