[Dovecot] IMAP inbox: cannot delete tagged messages or change their tag

Epimedia eric at epimedia.com.au
Wed Aug 13 02:17:34 EEST 2008

Hello, a bit of a problem with Dovecot. Version is 1.0.15 and is a
default install (no changes to config) from FC8 repository... except
that Dovecot is configured to use Maildir

I have a user on the system who uses the tags in Thunderbird (Important,
Personal etc). When she tags the messages they cannot be deleted and
their tags cannot be changed.  When deleting a message from the IMAP
inbox it momentarily disappears and moves a copy to the Trash but when
the IMAP inbox is reloaded the message reappears. The same happens when
I try to change a tag: it comes back with the previous tag.

Untagged messages can be freely deleted. Also, this problem does not
happen if the messages are in a IMAP folder. They can be freely deleted.

The problem seems specific to Dovecot, not Thunderbird, as I am able to
tag and delete messages in another IMAP account. Also, accessing the
same IMAP account using OS X Mail the messages come back after deleting
them.

Where should I start looking for a solution to this problem?