[Dovecot] sieve - Sendmail process terminated abnormally, exit status 70

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Wed Aug 13 21:08:24 EEST 2008

Christian Schmidt wrote:
> Steffen Kaiser, 13.08.2008 (d.m.y):
>
>> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Thomas Harold wrote:
>>
>> Check out /usr/include/sysexits.h what exit code 70 means on your system
>> - 70 is internal software error in Linux. Then check when
>> /usr/lib/sendmail will exit with this code.
>>
>> Deliver will run /usr/lib/sendmail with the uid of the target mailbox,
>> you said virtual user - so you've configured the id in dovecot.conf, I
>> guess.
>
> I just had a similar problem caused by the fact that /usr/lib/sendmail
> was missing. As I'm using exim as MTA, I created /usr/lib/sendmail as
> a symlink pointing to the exim binary.

That was an excellent tip.  I started looking closely at
/usr/lib/sendmail and following the link chain.  Which led me back to
/usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.

Which is probably not the correct sendmail binary to be using when we're
running postfix.  Apparently, back when I setup this server many months
ago, I never installed or ran:

# yum install system-switch-mail
# system-switch-mail

Which switches the links around to point at "sendmail.postfix".

Once I fixed that, I had to adjust SELinux properties to create a custom
profile to allow the sendmail binary to do its work.

Thank you both for the pointers, everything is now working properly for
vacation auto-responses.

(Oddly enough, the broken setup worked with Dovecot 1.0 - and only
reared its head after we upgraded to Dovecot 1.1.)