[Dovecot] dovecot sieve sends vacation messages with null envelope sender

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Aug 13 22:55:28 EEST 2008

on 8-12-2008 7:26 AM CJ Keist spake the following:
> Josef,
>    This is exactly same situation in our environment as well. I had to
> make the same change as you stated.  Our central virus/spam email
> gateway also cans any message with out a valid from address in the mail
> headers.  I would think most virus/spam systems will do the same.
>    I understand the concept of having the from empty, namely to keep
> another automated system from replying back to your vacation reply, but
> what do we do to keep our vacation replies being canned by anti-spam
> systems??  Maybe this should be a option in the configuration file to
> let the Admin decide whether to fill in the from address field, or a
> "donot-reply at domain.com" default, or just empty?

IMHO if someone's e-mail is so important that you would have to notify people
that they are on vacation, then a human should be checking their account
everyday. A vacation message just tells me to go somewhere else, which would
probably end up being a competitor. If I know the person, I probably already
know they are on vacation. If I don't know them, I probably don't care.

I will let people have a vacation message, but I will tell them that they
might not get delivered. If someone leaves, I alias their mail to their
successor, or just delete their account.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and