[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Aug 13 23:05:59 EEST 2008

There was a thread several weeks (or months) ago on webmail applications.

I didn't like any of the options and only found few that I did but they
were either expensive or not maintained.

So ... I raised the question on the Catalyst Framework list about Perl
based webmail apps and got nothing usable.  It came down to what would
it take to build a Perl (Cat) webmail app.

Several others on the list got interested so we decided to build it.
The main issue I run into is my lack of understanding of the
ins-and-outs of the IMAP specification and the features that come with
using Dovecot. (Oh yeah.  Dovecot was the preferred IMAP server!)

Another project I'm working on uses IMAP and what I found was there is a
great quantity of Perl modules for dealing with IMAP.  A great quantity!
   Unfortunately many of them assume a deeper knowledge of IMAP than I
have so are very confusing.

What I'm looking for is a good reference, besides the RFC, on IMAP.
Anything out there?  Electronic or dead-tree is fine. (A book of Dovecot
would be neat too.)

TIA,
Rod