[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 13 23:37:11 EEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> What I'm looking for is a good reference, besides the RFC, on IMAP.
> Anything out there?  Electronic or dead-tree is fine. (A book of
> Dovecot would be neat too.)

I wrote this a while ago: http://imapwiki.org/ClientImplementation

One thing that would be nice, that pretty much no webmail does, is to
keep a stateful connection open all the time (or at least some of the
time) instead of creating tons of short-lived connections that ask the
same stuff over and over again. With a stateful connection you could
basically run IDLE and wait for changes there instead of asking all
the time "is there new mail?" "is there new mail now?" "what about
now?".