[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Fri Aug 15 15:22:47 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen escreveu:
> I've heard that imapproxy isn't all that useful with Dovecot once auth
> cache is enabled and set large enough. It'll then just basically
> replace Dovecot's process fork(s) with the overhead of its own.

If I understand Dovecot's auth caching, it will save DB lookups (or
sequential passwd-file lookups, etc), but it will still need to spawn a
new imap process for each connection the webmail does.

With imapproxy, the process will be kept running for a couple minutes
after the webmail disconnects that connection and will be reused if a
new request is made in sequence.