[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 15 17:41:48 EEST 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> Timo Sirainen escreveu:
>> I've heard that imapproxy isn't all that useful with Dovecot once
>> auth cache is enabled and set large enough. It'll then just
>> basically replace Dovecot's process fork(s) with the overhead of
>> its own.
>
> If I understand Dovecot's auth caching, it will save DB lookups (or
> sequential passwd-file lookups, etc), but it will still need to
> spawn a new imap process for each connection the webmail does.
>
> With imapproxy, the process will be kept running for a couple
> minutes after the webmail disconnects that connection and will be
> reused if a new request is made in sequence.

Yes, but is it worth it to keep an extra daemon proxying all TCP
connetions to IMAP server just to save a some imap process creations?
With Dovecot v1.0/v1.1 I'm thinking "not really". v1.2 adds a bit more
state tracking that's a bit more expensive to calculate at startup.
v2.0 hopefully allows this kind of "wait a couple of minutes before
dying" natively.