[Dovecot] TECRA-A9 -- devcot LDA/sendmail

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Aug 20 08:10:54 EEST 2008

At 15:22 19-08-2008, dovecot at guice.ath.cx wrote:
>Re: [Dovecot] TECRA-A9 -- devcot LDA/sendmai
>
>The mail is not delivered to the ~/Maildir; mail continues to get
>delivered to /var/mail/<user-name>.
>
>First thing first, if you're reading this section/msg of the original thread,
>please return to the initial/first message.  To the author (SM
><sm at resistor.net>)
>who offered the response about sendmails' local-host-names, how did
>you arrive at this?  What does sendmails local-host-names have to do
>with local delivery once the MTA accepts the mail <-- perhaps that's
>a bit off-topic for this thread.

The MTA (sendmail) generally accepts the mail and then passes it to
the LDA if the recipient domain is listed in local-host-names or is
in class {w}.  In this case, the LDA used should be Dovecot's
deliver.  However, it won't work for local delivery, hence the
mailertable hack.

You mentioned that mail is being delivered but the steps at
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail don't work for you.  As you have
not provided any log extracts, I can only assume that sendmail is
calling the LDA defined by local MAILER to deliver mail to the
/var/mail/<user-name> mbox even though Dovecot's mail_location is set
to maildir:~/Maildir only.

Regards,
-sm