[Dovecot] Dovecot & (Al)pine - resaving messages to Inbox

Nicolas KOWALSKI nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 10:52:36 EEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:09:57AM +0200, Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 08:34:03AM +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Jonathan Herbach wrote:
> >
> >> I've noticed a change since Dovecot was upgraded. I used to reorder
> >> items within my INBOX in al/pine by "saving" messages back to the
> >> INBOX, which I was connecting via IMAP
> >
> > I can "S"ave a message from INBOX to INBOX and a message from another
> > folder to the INBOX just fine. But I use Dovecot v1.0.13.
>
> I notice the same thing than Jonathan, when using mbox format. No
> problem with maildir format.

I forgot to write:

- this is with dovecot 1.1.2

- this is not specific to INBOX: when saving a message from a folder to
  the same folder, Alpine complaints with the message
  [Can't copy mails inside same folder ]

- the debug journal of Alpine shows, with a 'news' folder:

IMAP DEBUG 09:46:05 8/20: 0900000b COPY 100 news
IMAP DEBUG 09:46:05 8/20: 0900000b NO Can't copy mails inside same mailbox

- a quick grep shows this is 'normal' behaviour, as written in
  src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-save.c

                        if (mbox->mbox_lock_type == F_RDLCK) {
                                /* FIXME: we shouldn't fail here. it's just
                                   a locking issue that should be possible to
                                   fix.. */
                                mail_storage_set_error(storage,
                                        MAIL_ERROR_NOTPOSSIBLE,
                                        "Can't copy mails inside same mailbox");
                                return -1;
                        }

--
Nicolas