[Dovecot] Dovecot & (Al)pine - resaving messages to Inbox

Nicolas KOWALSKI nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:17:44 EEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 07:00:22AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 8/20/2008, Nicolas KOWALSKI (nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com) wrote:
> > - this is not specific to INBOX: when saving a message from a folder to
> >   the same folder, Alpine complaints with the message
> >   [Can't copy mails inside same folder ]
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'saving' a message in the same folder.

Well, I just mean selecting a message in the folder "foo", asking for
saving in a folder ('S' in alpine, 's' in mutt), and when the MUA asks
for the destination folder, enter the same "foo" folder name. It will
usually append the message to the folder, and delete the original.

> Is this a message that you received from someone else? If so, it is
> already 'saved'. You can MOVE it around all you want, but the date/time
> stamps should always stay the same (it should still sort the same if you
> sort by date/time).

I suppose the OP does not sort by date but Arrival time (this means
arrival time in the mailbox).

> I will *vigorously* argue AGAINST changing this behavior, if this is
> what you are asking for.

What behaviour are you writing about?

> If (Al)pine is actually modifying a received messages headers, then I
> would declare (Al)pine as seriously BROKEN.

? Alpine does not modify anything; it uses standard IMAP commands.

--
Nicolas