[Dovecot] Dovecot & (Al)pine - resaving messages to Inbox

Jonathan Herbach jherbach at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:32:29 EEST 2008

> I suppose the OP does not sort by date but Arrival time (this means arrival time in the mailbox).

Exactly. I sort by arrival time, which in practice is the "unsorted" ordering based upon the mbox file itself. (Except I'd like to control the arbitrary "unsorted" order that I want by "resave to inbox" to handle reordering.)

Nicolas wrote:
> - a quick grep shows this is 'normal' behaviour, as written in
> src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-save.c
>
> if (mbox->mbox_lock_type == F_RDLCK) {
> /* FIXME: we shouldn't fail here. it's just
> a locking issue that should be possible to
> fix.. */
> mail_storage_set_error(storage,
> MAIL_ERROR_NOTPOSSIBLE,
> "Can't copy mails inside same mailbox");
> return -1;
> }

So I'm currently using: mbox_write_locks: fcntl
When I was using version 9 the relevant config setting was: "mbox_locks = fcntl", which plus the config suggestion "fcntl:  Use this if possible" led me down this path.

Does anybody know why this code was designed this way  / why it is different from 0.99 behavior / etc?

Jonathan