[Dovecot] config file parsing, tab characters

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 21 07:26:20 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 17:33 +0100, John Hannfield wrote:
> I am using the latest dovecot 1.1.2  with postfix, and using doveco
> deliver command for LDA.
> I really love dovecot, and how it has progressed over the years.
> However I have noticed that
> if I put a TAB character in the dovecot.conf  file, it sometimes does
> not parse the file correctlty,
> and complains about missing postmaster_address etc, even though they are there.

Yes, deliver's config file parser uses separate code from the rest of
Dovecot. There have been a lot of bugs in it and I really hate that
code. I do have plans to fix this by moving all the config parsing to a
single config binary, but I don't know yet if it's going to be for v1.2,
v1.3 or v2.0. So for now just try to avoid tabs.

> 1. Is there someway to check the validity of the dovecot.conf file.
> I notice dovecot -n  does not print the entire config.

dovecot -n verifies the validity of the dovecot.conf, but since deliver
uses separate code with its own bugs it doesn't really help.

> 2. Is there any chance the code used to parse the config file, could
> be updated to be more robust, and to include support for tabs?

I don't really want to touch that code before the rewrite, but feel free
to send a patch. src/deliver/deliver.c function config_file_init()