[Dovecot] dovecot bug - kevent(EV_DELETE, 9)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 21 07:42:24 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 22:43 +0400, Mail.ru wrote:
> > dovecot works fine with AD! but i have this in logs (This not nice,
> > but no more):
> > Aug 14 02:21:03 somecomp dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: Connection
> > lost to LDAP server, reconnecting
> > Aug 14 02:21:03 somecomp dovecot: auth(default):
> > kevent(EV_DELETE, 9) failed: Bad file descriptor

These should help for the "Bad file descriptor" error:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/0930aa699486
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/155d4e597397

> I understand. Windows 2003 close idle connections every 15 minutes (that policy set by default
> in any windows 2003 server) and dovecot reconnects with this error.
>
> Unfortunately dovecot haven't "keep-alive" parameter to keep
> connection to LDAP alive (not idle). :(
> And only that parameter can resolve my problem.

What "keep-alive parameter"? If you mean for TCP connections, it is
already set and it doesn't help here. Does LDAP have a keep-alive option
too? I think the two timeout options I see are about client-side timeout
handling. One thing Dovecot could do is to send a dummy LDAP request
every few minutes, but that seems pretty ugly.