[Dovecot] dovecot bug - kevent(EV_DELETE, 9)

Mail.ru sergey_dom at inbox.ru
Thu Aug 21 19:27:29 EEST 2008

Здравствуйте, Timo.

Вы писали 21 августа 2008 г., 8:42:24:

> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 22:43 +0400, Mail.ru wrote:
>> > dovecot works fine with AD! but i have this in logs (This not nice,
>> > but no more):
>> > Aug 14 02:21:03 somecomp dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: Connection
>> > lost to LDAP server, reconnecting
>> > Aug 14 02:21:03 somecomp dovecot: auth(default):
>> > kevent(EV_DELETE, 9) failed: Bad file descriptor

> These should help for the "Bad file descriptor" error:

> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/0930aa699486
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/155d4e597397

>> I understand. Windows 2003 close idle connections every 15
>> minutes (that policy set by default
>> in any windows 2003 server) and dovecot reconnects with this error.
>>
>> Unfortunately dovecot haven't "keep-alive" parameter to keep
>> connection to LDAP alive (not idle). :(
>> And only that parameter can resolve my problem.

> What "keep-alive parameter"? If you mean for TCP connections, it is
> already set and it doesn't help here. Does LDAP have a keep-alive option
> too? I think the two timeout options I see are about client-side timeout
> handling. One thing Dovecot could do is to send a dummy LDAP request
> every few minutes, but that seems pretty ugly.

Thank you very much!!! The patch is working fine. I haven't errors in
logs any more.

About "keep-alive parameter" - I mean keep-alive option in config (like
you said: "to send a dummy LDAP request every few minutes").
And i don't think that this "seems pretty ugly".
When connection idle dovecot will reconnect to the LDAP every N
minutes. Time interval (N minutes) sets by idle_timeout option in OpenLDAP (or
by GPO in AD).

In logs it's look like (without error):
Aug 14 03:36:06 somecomp dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: Connection lost to LDAP server, reconnecting
Aug 14 03:51:06 somecomp dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: Connection lost to LDAP server, reconnecting
Aug 14 04:06:06 somecomp dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: Connection lost to LDAP server, reconnecting

It's only IMHO:
If you can add this option in new version of dovecot (only for LDAP), i will be
happy (and not only me). :)

P.S.
Thanks for patch again!