[Dovecot] dovecot-antispam: Failed to read mail beginning, Next message unexpectedly lost

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 21 08:05:45 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 11:15 +0200, Jiri Novosad wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I tried this on Gentoo with dovecot-antispam version 20080601 and
> dovecot versions 1.0.15-r1, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.
> Versions 1.1.0+ all fail.
> Version 1.0.15-r1 works fine, even if I add the "Next message
> unexpectedly lost" check (see below).
>
> So it seems to be a bug in dovecot (? but I guess it could be
> dovecot-antispam, too).
>
> Could someone at least confirm this behaviour?
> Note that I use mbox, maildir seems to be OK.

I guess it's a Dovecot bug, but probably not too easy to fix. In any
case I don't have time to look at it.

The problem is that at the point where dovecot-antispam is reading the
message it hasn't yet been committed. Actually it's still possible that
the transaction fails and the message doesn't even get saved. Perhaps
antispam plugin should read the messages only after commit? But after
commit the mbox has been unlocked and it's possible that another process
has already had a chance to expunge it. So maybe not that either..