[Dovecot] Option to evaluate IMAP prefixes relative to $HOME, rather than the IMAP root?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 22 19:35:42 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 17:06 +0100, David McBride wrote:
> Is there a mechanism (or relatively small source-code change) which would cause
> Dovecot to evaluate IMAP prefixes relative to $HOME rather than the configured
> IMAP root?

It's not really possible to know which part of the string is the IMAP
prefix and which part is a normal mailbox path. For example user could
just as well have created a mailbox called "mail/foo" and then you
shouldn't treat it as plain "foo". So the only way would be to set
mail_location to point to your home directory.

> (I was hoping that setting full_filesystem_access=yes would do this, but it only
> relaxes the normal access permissions.)

You didn't mention which Dovecot version you were using or if you're
using mbox or maildir, but looks like that setting was broken at least
with v1.1. Fixed for mbox (not for maildir yet):
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/c1e022104285