[Dovecot] password issue

Chris Buckley chris at cjbuckley.net
Mon Aug 25 02:22:39 EEST 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, gishaust wrote:

> hi everyone I am new to dovecot  and I am having  a little trouble
>
> I am getting this error  in my mail.log I have google it and can't find a
> response,
>
> Aug 25 08:14:24 mta dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connected to
> 127.0.0.1 (postfix)
> Aug 25 08:14:24 mta dovecot: auth-worker(default):
> sql(sal at prt.com,127.0.0.1): Password query failed: Table 'postfix.password'
> doesn't exist

There's your hint.. :-)

Sounds like your sql statement for passwd lookup simply needs some
adjustment.

for example, my table in MySQL looks like this:
+------------------------+------------------------------------+---------------+-------------------------+-------+---------------+---------------------+---------------------+--------+
| username               | password                           | name
| maildir                 | quota | domain        | created
| modified            | active |
+------------------------+------------------------------------+---------------+-------------------------+-------+---------------+---------------------+---------------------+--------+

I use the statement:
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'

to ensure the lookup is correct.

If you can do the following, I can write you the correct sql statement:

mysql -u root -p
use postfix;
show tables;  <---  output of this required.
select * from mailbox <-- ditto for this

> connect = host=127.0.0.1 dbname=postfix user=postfix password=*******
> default_pass_scheme = PLAIN-MD5
> password_query = SELECT mailbox as user, password FROM password WHERE
> email='%u';

This is the section more than probably at fault - paste the above into a pastebin
(pastebin.ca is good) and let us know the outputs.

Cheers,

--
Kind Regards,		::   http://www.cjbuckley.net/
Chris Buckley		::   http://photos.cjbuckley.net/