[Dovecot] Dovecot and "deliver" disagree on character encodings

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Aug 25 02:53:19 EEST 2008

Hi, I have a problem where Dovecot and its LDA seem to disagree on what
character encoding should be used in Maildir names.

I use Dovecot and Postfix on a Debian server. Mail is delivered by Dovecot LDA
(called from .forward) and sorted according to a Sieve script into a number
of Maildir folders in my home directory. Dovecot serves the mail over IMAP
and I read it in Kmail.

I originally created the mail folders with Kmail, and Dovecot created the
directories with their names encoded in modified UTF-7, like in IMAP. The
Sieve script is encoded in UTF-8, in accordance with RFC 3028. When the Sieve
script specifies a mail folder with non-English letters in the name, the LDA
doesn't put the messages in the corresponding modified-UTF-7-encoded
directory. Instead it creates a new directory with the same name but encoded
in UTF-8. That directory doesn't show up as a mail folder in Kmail,
presumably because Dovecot considers the UTF-8-encoded name invalid.

The Dovecot I got with Debian isn't exactly the most recent version. I
searched for "Maildir", "deliver" and "Sieve" in the changelog, and didn't
find anything about this. Should I consider upgrading anyway, abandoning the
Debian package?

Here are the details:

Debian Etch (4.0)
Dovecot 1.0.rc15
I don't know how to find out the version number of the Sieve plugin but it's
the one that came with Dovecot in the Debian package.
CPU: Intel Pentium
filesystem: ext3

marvin:~# dovecot -n
# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap
listen: [::]
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/mail.rombobeorn.se.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/private/mail.rombobeorn.se.key
ssl_cipher_list: <too long, and can't possibly be relevant>
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
imap_client_workarounds:
auth default:
  mechanisms: digest-md5
  user: dovecot-auth
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/dovecot/passwd
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
    master:

beorn at marvin:~$ cat .forward
| "/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -c /etc/dovecot/deliver.conf"

beorn at marvin:~$ cat /etc/dovecot/deliver.conf
protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = postmaster at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
  mail_plugins = cmusieve
}

Apart from this problem, thanks for a very good IMAP server!

Björn Persson