[Dovecot] syncml with server push email

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Wed Aug 27 18:42:06 EEST 2008

On 27 Aug 2008 at 9:57, Steve Roemen wrote:

> I use Funambol to push email to clients, I'm using courier at the moment
> (that's going to change here in a few), but using it on dovecot
> shouldn't matter.  I ran into the time problem too, and found that I had
> to set the client's timezone preference and set it to force a conversion
> within the admin package.

Interesting, was that on 7.x or previous, I experienced the tz problem on 6.5
and there was a lot of discussion on the funambol list about this issue, it
was determined to be a problem with the conversion from ical to vcal (and
also different versions of ical) by the server.  After about 8 months of that
I went to eGroupWare and haven't looked back as it offers more functionality
and it's syncml just works, but it doesn't seem to have support for email, so
I reinstalled funambol yesterday, but that brought up another problem. I am
using a windows mobile device that I want to do pushed email syncing with.
Because of numerous problems with the Funambol Windows Mobile client, I ended
up buying the Synthesis SyncML Pro client, however it comes up with a 10415
error on sync, which according to google means it doesn't support the same
email data type so no go there.

https://core.forge.funambol.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=416&dsMessageId=15
947&orderBy=createDate&orderType=desc

The connection works fine as I can see the traffic in the funambol logs and
the connection to the dovecot server on the same machine, so I'll probably
give a funambol client another try to see what happens, but having to use 2
different clients on the same pda phone to stay synced kinda sucks.

My temporary goal is to use it to push email to a Nokia E61i since my
provider no longer offers BlackBerry Connect and then go back to a new
Windows Mobile Smartphone I have on order (O2 XDA Flame)

Which reminds me, is it possible to use sieve in the mix so that I can
control what messages get forwarded to the phone rather than the whole kit
and kaboodle, so mail comes into dovecot, runs through sieve and the stuff
that the sieve rules allow, gets forwarded to the phone by funambol?

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting