[Dovecot] Distributed indexes, maildir_copy_preserve_filename, and Microsoft

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Aug 30 13:47:50 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 10:50 -0700, Jack Stewart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just completed a migration from Courier to a Dovecot 1.0.7 (patched
> RHE 5) which is working great, except for this weirdness of an issue
> that is impacting a handful of users. My question is that will turning
> off maildir_copy_preserve_filename help or hurt in a situation where
> there are multiple servers with their own local INDEX files (uidlist is
> shared)?

It should make no difference.

> The problem is that a few users on a few versions of Microsoft Mail
> clients are not showing a few messages. They can see the messages just
> fine in webmail and other, more typical, E-mail clients.

If the webmail sees it, then Dovecot sees it and I can't really think of
why MS Mail wouldn't see it.. Do you mean even a client restart won't
help? Or are they using different Dovecot servers?

You could enable rawlog (http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog) for
the users having the problem and see if it shows the mails being sent to
MS Mail.

> Another option might be easier is to delete the users INDEX and let the
> clients rebuild them.

If webmail sees the mails, I don't see it making any difference.