[Dovecot] Distributed indexes, maildir_copy_preserve_filename, and Microsoft

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Sat Aug 30 18:54:02 EEST 2008

...... Original Message .......
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:47:50 +0300 "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 10:50 -0700, Jack Stewart wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just completed a migration from Courier to a Dovecot 1.0.7 (patched
>> RHE 5) which is working great, except for this weirdness of an issue
>> that is impacting a handful of users. My question is that will turning
>> off maildir_copy_preserve_filename help or hurt in a situation where
>> there are multiple servers with their own local INDEX files (uidlist is
>> shared)?
>
>It should make no difference.
>
>> The problem is that a few users on a few versions of Microsoft Mail
>> clients are not showing a few messages. They can see the messages just
>> fine in webmail and other, more typical, E-mail clients.
>
>If the webmail sees it, then Dovecot sees it and I can't really think of
>why MS Mail wouldn't see it.. Do you mean even a client restart won't
>help? Or are they using different Dovecot servers?
>
>You could enable rawlog (http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog) for
>the users having the problem and see if it shows the mails being sent to
>MS Mail.
>
>> Another option might be easier is to delete the users INDEX and let the
>> clients rebuild them.
>
>If webmail sees the mails, I don't see it making any difference.
>
>[signature.asc]

Thank's for your reply and the raw log tip. You've answered my question and concern.

Just for reference, the most reliable solution for these few clients appears to be to disable
the original configuration and then create  a new one.

Only certain versions of Outlook and Entourage have this  index issue where
only some of messages are listed. All of the other clients are just fine.
The problem might be related to how I migrated the uidlist files.

Since we are migrating to 1.1.1 in ~1-2 weeks, I'm not worried.

Thanks again for your reply!

---Jack