[Dovecot] mailbox not acceced

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Mon Feb 11 14:42:38 EET 2008

Osvaldo Alvarez Pozo wrote:
> Hi
> I wonder how can I know if a mailbox is not beeing consulted. I mean I
> have severals mailboxs but I know some account are not used. I like to
> know how to determine wich mail accounts are not beeing used. Is there
> any way in dovecot to know the las  time a user loged in to dovecot?
>
> Thanks

I'm using dovecot's ability to use "pre execution" scripts.

Basically i have in my imap protocol definition in dovecot.conf an
alternate mail_executable

protocol imap {
mail_executable = /usr/local/bin/imap-wrapper.sh
}

And that executable has the following:

---- snip ----
#!/bin/sh

# Filesystem based timestamp in user's home directory and protocol used
echo imap > /var/spool/lastlogin/$UID

# Finally execute the imap/pop3 binary. If you use both, you'll need two
scripts.
exec /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
---- snip ----

I echo the protocol into the file because i have both pop and imap
available to my users and this way i can keep track when was the last
time they accessed their mailbox (ls -l /var/spool/lastlogin/username)
and which protocol they used in that access (cat
/var/spool/lastlogin/username).

There are inumerous possibilities of course.

Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
ci.fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307

Centro de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.ci.fct.unl.pt	      apoio at fct.unl.pt

ci.fct.unl.pt:~# _