[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jan 10 22:23:01 EET 2008

on 1/10/2008 10:37 AM Brian T Glenn spake the following:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:26:05AM -0700, Andrew Falanga may have written:
>> In an ideal world, perhaps, no one would setup a mail server unless they
>> knew how to.  The trouble is, this position doesn't take into account that
>> we *DON'T* live in an ideal world.  In our world, to know how to do
>> something means you've got to set it up.  But to set it up, you've got to be
>> familiar with it, but to be familiar with it, you've got to set it up.
>
> I think that is what testing and lab enviroments are meant to
> accomplish. The Dovecot Wiki is for information about dovecot. It isn't
> for people to paste the results of Google searches you think would be
> helpful. Is it really that foreign of a concept to encounter a term you
> are not familiar with, copy it into your clipboard, and paste it into
> Google? I thought that was half of being successful at IT?

I had written something similar, but decided not to send it.
My employer pays me fairly well for what I do, and they expect a certain
amount of either knowledge, or willingness to obtain that knowledge.
I don't expect to find that info in one book, or even 100 books, but it is
there and most is free for the taking. But if you don't know how to do
something, you either take the time to learn or pay someone else who did.
No one is born with this stuff. There isn't a great cosmic knowledgebase that
you can channel into to get this, you have to spend some time learning.

Knowledge is like a pyramid. You have to lay the base before you can add
levels. And every level depends on the strength of the level below it. You can
try to build one from the top, but it won't work very well.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and