[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Thu Jan 10 23:14:52 EET 2008

On 1/10/2008, Andrew Falanga (af300wsm at gmail.com) wrote:
> What I wasn't clear on was how the mail actually ended up into a
> persons "INBOX." This process was unknown to me. It was educational
> to me that it was sendmail that handles this.

Actually, it is the DELIVERY AGENT that is responsible for 'delivering'
mail to the final resting place (Inbox). I have no clue about delivery
agents with sendmail, but postfix can use a few different ones (its own
standard LDA (Local Delivery Agent) and the VDA (Virtual...), and
Maildrop, but I'm sure there are probably more.

> If the dovecot wiki isn't going to explain these things entirely,
> because it's not dovecot's responsibility to do so, that's fine.
> Shouldn't the wiki explain, however, that, "Knowledge of what mbox,
> INBOX, MAILDIR, etc., is assumed. If you don't understand these
> terms, see (some links)?"

Again, this is ridiculous. Each persons level of knowledge is different.
The author of a wiki like you describe would have to write to the lowest
common denominator - which means he would be authoring a dictionary and
a thesaurus all at the same time. Don't you see how ludicrous that is?

> In our world, to know how to do something means you've got to set it
> up. But to set it up, you've got to be familiar with it, but to be
> familiar with it, you've got to set it up.

So go for it! You have a brain. You have a library somehwere close by.
You have bookstores. You have fingers. You have a computer. You have an
internet connection. You have google. You have amazon. Now go forth and
USE THEM!

:)

--

Best regards,