[Dovecot] Is there a way to limit multiple POP3 connections?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 11 06:02:12 EET 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 20:30 +0200, arvids wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008 20:08:43 Charles Marcus wrote:
> > Ok, I guess we both may need to read it a few more time - not surprising
> > in my case... :)
> OK, done :)
>

> > It doesn't say you don't need the index files - it says you don't need
> > the dovecot.index.CACHE file...
> >
> > According to this they are not the same:
> >
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/IndexFiles
>
> If we disable index files (INDEX=MEMORY), indexing is not switched off, just
> all structures are kept only in memory and index.cache file is not created.
> And http://wiki.dovecot.org/POP3Server says that:
> 'for POP3-only users there's no need to create dovecot.index.cache file at
> all'.
> So from this I conclude that if we do not want index.cache file created we
> have to disable index files with INDEX=MEMORY. We are disabling index files
> on disk, not indexing.

The point of that was that v1.1 just doesn't create/update
dovecot.index.cache files for POP3-only users. There's no need to
configure it that way. I'll try to update the wiki to say that. :)

dovecot.index and dovecot.index.log files still get created. I don't
know how much of a difference it makes if you disable them instead of
just letting them be updated.