[Dovecot] Imap - Loging

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 11 14:01:29 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 10:03 +0100, Andre Hübner wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i'm looking for a way to increase log-level for imap-processes. Pop3 Server
> writes all necessary infos about mails-transfered/deleted etc. Imap-Log
> writes just times and ip's of Userlogins.
> Is there a way to increase the imap-output? The Conf-Parameters i found did
> not really fit my requirements. Best result would be a collected log of
> transfering/deleting mails for one imap-session.
> Ist there a way to achieve this?

Not really. It's not that simple with IMAP. For example what should be
counted as "deleted"? Is it marking a message with \Deleted flag? Is it
when the message has been expunged with EXPUNGE command? What about if
the message was copied to Trash mailbox and then expunged?

Or downloading messages .. Should it be counted if only message headers
are downloaded? Or only message body without headers? What about if only
the first MIME part of a message with multiple MIME parts?

Dovecot v1.1 logs the number of transferred in/out bytes by the
connection. Would that be enough? :)

Disconnected: Logged out bytes=1768030/2699695

Also mail_log plugin can log all those delete, expunge and copy events:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailLog