[Dovecot] [OT] Webmail Recommendation

Hannes Erven h.e at gmx.at
Fri Jan 11 14:21:16 EET 2008

Hi folks,

I'd like to throw in some real world experience: my IMAP server runs for
just a few users, but they have huge maildirs (>1GB each) with hundreds
of folders and, in some folders, thousands of messages.

Before switching to dovecot, courier-imap handled the backend and I used
Squirrelmail as the front-end.

imapproxy had a huge (positive) impact on performance, especially when
browsing through folders with many messages. Startup (building the
maildir tree with message counts) still took its time, and searching in
Squirrelmail also was a pain.

Thanks to Dovecot, startup and search (in from/to, subject) now is
really fast and I turned off imapproxy completely as it did not further
improve the webmail's performance. I guess in environments where
authentication is expensive (slow) imapproxy sure is worth a look at.

Best regards

	-hannes