[Dovecot] [OT] Webmail Recommendation

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Mon Jan 14 23:00:36 EET 2008

On Friday, January 11 at 01:21 PM, quoth Hannes Erven:
> Before switching to dovecot, courier-imap handled the backend and I
> used  Squirrelmail as the front-end.

We used to use BincIMAP and Squirrelmail.

> imapproxy had a huge (positive) impact on performance, especially
> when  browsing through folders with many messages. Startup (building
> the  maildir tree with message counts) still took its time, and
> searching in  Squirrelmail also was a pain.

We had the same experience.

> Thanks to Dovecot, startup and search (in from/to, subject) now is
> really fast and I turned off imapproxy completely as it did not
> further improve the webmail's performance. I guess in environments
> where authentication is expensive (slow) imapproxy sure is worth a
> look at.

We did the same, for the same reasons. Dovecot offered an order of
magnitude increase (subjective) in responsiveness, and I couldn't tell
the difference between using imapproxy and not using imapproxy---we
removed it just to reduce the complexity of the system.

~Kyle
--
There in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from
revolutionist and rebel men and women who dare to dissent from