[Dovecot] Imap proxy with tls?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Jan 14 05:41:25 EET 2008

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Someone Something wrote:

> offlineimap looks like it will work.  Do you know if it works well on
> big changes?  I have about 1.5 gigs of email at the local site that will
> need to be uploaded to the main server.  After its uploaded it will have
> to weed through it all during the sync every time.  Think that will be
> ok?

BTW, I use offlineimap's IMAP<->Maildir sync, not IMAP<->IMAP, which is
newer and I trust it less.  It's okay for large mailboxes; the first sync
will take forever, but after that it's not too bad.

I would make backups; a friend ran into a Dovecot bug that due to memory
pressure didn't list all the UIDs in a Maildir, so offlineimap thought the
messages were remotely deleted.  I've never suffered problems like this,
and maybe no one else will now that the Dovecot bug is fixed, but it was
sad and worth warning about.  You could instead of just relying on backups
use offlineimap's feature that tells it not to really delete mail; I
don't remember what it's called.

An alternate strategy is to use git (or similar) to mirror the Maildir
structure across the network.

-- Asheesh.

--
Some restrictions may apply.