[Dovecot] maildirsize quota does not referred after migration from courier

Tim Chen gphoto6 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 09:29:50 EET 2008

Dear All,

We would like to migrate our existing courier to dovecot. After reading
document on website and doing some tests, here are some issues we met.

1. According the the wiki, it seems to imply that once migrating from
   courier to dovecot, pop3 users may "lost/forget" their download "index/
   history" which cause them to download again old mails that are kept on
   server side.

   If this is true, it would seriously annoy our users since they always
   keep old mails on server so that they can access them through webmail
   interface.

   Is there anyway to avoid this kind of situation?
2. Currently, we use only /etc/passwd to store our user information. Postfix
   is our MTA and maildrop is MDA. Quota settings were wriiten in the
   maildirsize file reside under Maildir directory at everyone's home.

   The command we use to set user quota:
   /usr/local/bin/maildirmake -q 315000000S Maildir

   After installing a test environment using dovecot v1.1.beta13, we found
that it
   does not read the quota settings from the maildirsize file, instead, it
only rely on the
   system wide settings. This could be a problem since we have different
quota
   settings for different groups of users. Is this a bug of v1.1? Or should
   use v1.0 instead? Will v1.1 fix this bug in the future?

Best regards,
Tim Chen