[Dovecot] deliver can't connect to auth server at */usr/local*/var/run/dovecot/auth-master

Jerry Yeager jerry at scene-naturally.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 16 04:38:44 EET 2008

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:19:11 +0100
> From: Andreas Ntaflos <daff at dword.org>
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] deliver can't connect to auth server at
> 	*/usr/local*/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
>
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 03:56:28 Jerry Yeager wrote:
>>> while fiddling around with the configuration so Dovecot's LDA
>>> "deliver" can be
>>> used by multiple users by means of Getmail (you can read about that
>>> in [1]) I
>>> always end up running into the error message posted in the subject
>>> line:

( stuff snipped out )

>> One last thing, as a security idea, try something like
>>
>>      master {
>>        path = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>>        mode = 0600
>>        user = dovecot_user
>>        group = dovecot_group
>>      }
>>
>> and set your postfix line that calls deliver to match:
>>
>> 	dovecot unix - n n - - pipe flags=DRhu
>> user=dovecot_user:dovecot_group argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/
>> deliver -f ${sender} -d ${recipient}
>
> Thanks for this suggestion! But that would imply that I have a
> virtual user
> setup, wouldn't it? Because I don't, all my users are regular Unix
> users with
> shell accounts. That's why my Postfix main.cf contains just
>
> home_mailbox = Maildir/
> mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
>
> which is also what the LDA/Postfix wiki page says on
> wiki.dovecot.org. No
> Dovecot entry in master.cf at all.

Actually I was responding to what you had listed in your message i.e.

  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 432
      user: root
      group: dovecot
--

which is a setup type you would use in a virtual style of user (either
a "super user" or a group of non-system listed users with different

				Jerry