[Dovecot] Time just moved backwards error even with ntpd

Sat Jan 19 18:07:58 EET 2008

On 1/19/2008 Luigi Rosa wrote:
> On one hand we have Dovecot that kill itself until someone kicks it
> back on, on the other hand we have just some errors on the logfile.
>
> Well, IMHO at least there could be a configuration parameter that
> allows me to choose between a service that kills itself and some
> errors on a logfile and maybe a temporary service failure.
>
> Each SysAdmin could weight the consequences and choose the option
> he/she thinks is more appropriate to his/her server.

Accurate time is CRITICAL for a mail server (and most any other server
as well).

I think the current behavior is reasonable. Fix the actual problem
(server time being incorrect at boot time), and this is not an issue.