[Dovecot] Time just moved backwards error even with ntpd

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sat Jan 19 21:21:52 EET 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:07:58AM -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:

  On 1/19/2008 Luigi Rosa wrote:
>> On one hand we have Dovecot that kill itself until someone kicks it back
>> on, on the other hand we have just some errors on the logfile.
>>
>> Well, IMHO at least there could be a configuration parameter that allows
>> me to choose between a service that kills itself and some errors on a
>> logfile and maybe a temporary service failure.
>>
>> Each SysAdmin could weight the consequences and choose the option he/she
>> thinks is more appropriate to his/her server.

  Accurate time is CRITICAL for a mail server (and most any other server as
  well).

  I think the current behavior is reasonable. Fix the actual problem (server
  time being incorrect at boot time), and this is not an issue.

Even without this problem, it may be wise to add a script to check often
if dovecot is running, and start it if it is not.  That way your downtime
caused by this issue will be minimal.  and/or add more servers so users won't
notice any downtime except possibly being disconnected once.