[Dovecot] Using deliver from Getmail [solved]

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Mon Jan 21 00:16:03 EET 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 16:23:03 Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> a quick question: can I use Dovecot's LDA "deliver" as a destination in
> Getmail? I.e.:
>
> [destination]
> type = MDA_external
> path = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
> arguments = ("-d", "username",)

Hello list,

as a followup, (with an additional question which I probably should post as a
separate message) I think I have found the solution.

But to clarify: I am /not/ using a virtual user/virtual domain setup, all
users have shell accounts and home directories. The server only hosts two
domains (set in $mydestination in Postfix) and I use Dovecot with a
simple "userdb passwd" setup, as seen in dovecot -n at the end.

Postfix uses Dovecot's LDA deliver to deliver incoming messages for the two
hosted domains, as described in [1], via

mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver

This seems to be the same as unsetting mailbox_command and instead creating a
~/.forward file in each home directory, with the contents

| "/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver"

so deliver gets called by the user itself (thus no permission problems).
Either method seems to work, producing the same results.

To have Getmail use Dovecot's deliver I simply had to set the [destination]
section in the rc-file to:

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver

which seems to do the trick. No arguments required. Mail fetched by Getmail
gets handed to deliver which then puts it in the users inbox. I just had to
rewrite some of my ~/.dovecot.sieve, but that's specific to my setup/site.

So thanks for all the input and help in this and the other [2] thread! Really
appreciated!

Andreas

[1] http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/27076
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4