[Dovecot] Dovecot + MySQL problem

Timo Neuvonen timo-news at tee-en.net
Fri Jan 25 10:57:09 EET 2008

I recently upgraded my Fedora Core 6 (mail)server to Fedora 8. Unfortunately
I don't any more have absolutely reliable information available on the
Dovecot version that was the last one I had on FC6, but I guess it has been
1.0.3 (I found it from a FC6 repo right now). Currently, Fedora 8 has
version 1.0.7 that comes as binary rpm from Fedora repos.

So, the problem:
I had set up an authentication system using mysql database. It worked fine
as long as I were using FC6, but after upgrade Dovecot dies immediatedly
after the system startup, writing this to log:

Jan 24 16:14:46 test dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.7 starting up
Jan 24 16:14:46 test dovecot: auth(default): Unknown database driver 'mysql'
Jan 24 16:14:46 test dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down

My first idea was that Dovecot is compiled without sql support. However:
[root at test etc]# dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=poll notify=inotify ipv6 openssl
SQL drivers: mysql postgresql sqlite
Passdb: checkpassword ldap pam passwd passwd-file shadow sql
Userdb: checkpassword ldap passwd prefetch passwd-file sql static

If I change "mysql" to "pgsql" in the following in the conf file, the error
message will change accordingly:
# Database driver: mysql, pgsql, sqlite
#driver =
driver = mysql

I also have CentOS 5.1 system with Dovecot 1.0.rc15. I tried the database
authentication with similar conf there, it did work.

So, is there an essential (intentional) change in sql configuration between
1.0.rc15 (and obviously 1.0.3) to 1.0.7, or should I start finding the
problem from incorrectly built binary of 1.0.7?

Regards,
Timo