[Dovecot] Capturing credentials for imap sync

Gabriel Millerd gmillerd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 05:50:34 EET 2008

On 1/25/08, Master Abi <master at lavacoms.com> wrote:

> The user is added to the Active Directory. The mail client is configured
> with 2 accounts with identical credentials, one of which is connected to
> Dovecot. When the new client connects to dovecot, the credentials are
> captured and stored so that imapsync can use it. This

Its not entirely clear what Dovecot is authenticating off of when its
working as intended. Obviously exchange is working from Active
Directory and that is where you are pushing new users manually.

If Dovecot has its own LDAP server, that could potentially be trained
to fall back or sync to AD. Or a perl script could be croned to kick
before your imapsync to do this chore (as well as alter and maintain
users)

You have Outlook clients setup with both Exchange and IMAP accounts to
duplicates of the same mail content? How are you rolling out the
Outlook account changes in the actual client? Some sort of desktop
management tool or manual visits to the desktop?

If your want to thieve passwords from Dovecot login attempts there
would be potential in wrapping the imap binary as mentioned in the
wiki and doing the above perl script in a targeted fashion (being
mindful for DOS issues and what not) I would think.

look head in imap-auth for user in memcache or ldap ? proceed to imap
: sync user quick from AD
imap-dovecot

--
Gabriel Millerd