[Dovecot] Capturing credentials for imap sync

Master Abi master at lavacoms.com
Fri Jan 25 22:54:51 EET 2008

Hi List

All the imap sync apps I could find requires the username /password
credentails to be known before a sync occurs. I have Dovecot using ldap
acting as a nearline backup mail server to MS Exchange. Every hour
imapsync syncs mail between Exchange and Dovecot. This all works fine
becuase the users credentials are known, but when new users are added I
would like the process to work seemless like this:

The user is added to the Active Directory. The mail client is configured
with 2 accounts with identical credentials, one of which is connected to
Dovecot. When the new client connects to dovecot, the credentials are
captured and stored so that imapsync can use it. This

If there is another way this can be done with dovecot, could I please be
enlighten. I have read the doco on migration but I am not quite
migrating but more replicating.

Thank you